Discussion Questions
1. I think that a newspaper's educational level should reflect its target audience, or its readership. A more 'sophisticated' newspaper, such as The Australian, deals with more 'in-depth' or international issues, etc., and has a certain level of assumed knowledge among the readers. This is not to say that other, perhaps more locally directed, newspapers are not as valid or worthwhile, it is more a case of giving the readers what they want.
In the case of the Newcastle Herald, my town's main newspaper, I think it is tailoring its educational level at the right level. Newcastle has such a wide cross-section of people with vastly different economic, social and educational levels. The readership extends across this hugely. In terms of being an accessible newspaper it is fantastic. Anyone could read a story and be informed, with little to no assumed knowledge required.
An interesting point I found in the text was: "The challenge is to keep the language from becoming predictable and static while maintaining the tone and dignity of straight news reporting" (Conley & Lambel, p. ) This, to me, seems a very difficult task, as even the simple news writing assignments we have had this semester have been daunting. It has been more a case of not knowing where to begin, let alone considering lifting language so as not to become flat.
2.I don't think that reporters should interpret news events and inject their thoughts into news stories. The text states that words "centre on whether it is factual" (Conley & Lambel, p. 156). This is so important, especially in newspaper reporting, where it can even become dangerous. A reporter must remain credible to its sources and readers, or make sure not to "invest the story with false importance" (Conley & Lambel, p. 142)
Although, journalists should have 'styles' as "a journalist without style is a journalist without substance, and a journalist without substance is ... not a journalist" (Conley & Lambel, p.147). I wonder if forming a style comes naturally or whether you have to work hard to make one? Perhaps it is a little bit of both.
3.I think it is very important for news writing to stay independent of changing language, e.g. Americanism. News writing is the "product of centuries of linguistic evolution" (Conley & Lambel, p. 146).
I would find it very off-putting if I was to read a newspaper article which showcased slang or Americanisms, unless it was a article discussing language. I would find the newspaper to lack credibility and would probably dismiss it. In some magazines, journalists try to use slang, perhaps more as a technique to appear intimate and comfortable. This is completely different to 'hard news' as it concerns serious matters, and has a duty to the public.
4. Yes, I think newspapers do have a serious commitment to accuracy. As I said before, inaccurate journalism can even become dangerous. A newspaper has a contract with society to present news in the most accurate way possible. This extends so far as to ensure that names and titles are spelt correctly. Many people, including (and perhaps the most) people who are in the newspaper for the first time can become very upset if their names are incorrectly spelt. It may be only a small detail to a journalist, but it is not to the individual.
5. I would most probably contact my supervisor and prepare an apology to be ran in the next days newspaper. If nobody has contacted the newspaper yet, there may be someone who will soon (or most probably Mediawatch). It is must more important to retain your credibility rather than hope for the best. Hopefully, I would have researched my story a little bit better rather than having to run an apology for a serious mistake! This definitely highlights the need for thorough research.
-------------------------------------------------
VCAT hearing under way into late-night lockout plans
Posted Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:22pm AEST
Map: Bendigo 3550
A tribunal hearing about a proposed lockout for late-night venues in Bendigo's central business district, in central Victoria, has started in Melbourne.
Police had been pushing for a 1:00am AEST curfew, while venue operators prefer a 3:00am lockout.
The two parties had been in talks on a 2:00am compromise, but failed to reach an agreement.
The hearing, in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), is expected to finish today.
------------------------------------------------
Discussion
This article is very interesting to me, especially surrounding all the media attending that Newcastle has been facing. I have heard barely anything about the Victorian lockout scheme.
The lockout situation came as a retaliation to violence and disorderly behaviour in the Newcastle CBD. This was further heightened by the death of an elderly man called Frank Newberry, who was bashed to death and robber in his grocery store.
Newcastle residents were opting for a similar 1:00am curfew, however local and state government as well as hotel and club owners were pushing for a later time, and have come to the agreement of a 3:00am lockout.
It is sad that Newcastle and Melbourne have had to come to such measures. If only people were intelligent enough, and able to handle themselves well enough, to not be a danger to themselves or others around them.
Link to a Newcastle article
Newcastle Lockout
Measures used to try and combat the Newcastle Lockout
Rock Out Against the Lock Out
Monday, August 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment