1. I think it would most probably prefer to opt for a computer and telephone assisted 'paper chase', yet would most probably actually leave the office. As the text states "The most important news resource ... is always human" (Conley & Lambel, p. 169). I think staying in the office too much would become quite straining, and I would be less motivated. Journalists can "become cocooned from the public" (Conley & Lambel, p. 169). By getting out and about journalists can talk to ordinary people, and can enlarge the scope of the newsroom.
Face-to-face interviews are much more personal and intimate, and would most probably result in being of a higher quality. I know that I find it much harder to get my message across on the telephone, compared to in-person.
2. This is a difficult question to answer. On the one hand, this is an opportunity to develop yourself as a investigatory journalist, and perhaps gain more credibility or make a bigger name for yourself. On the other hand, as the text states "there is a greater consideration: filling the paper each day" (Conley & Lambel, p.170). The text also goes on to say "... journalists are 'producers' not 'developers' of news stories ... some newspapers ... actively discourage their journalists from working on investigative articles become of cost factors" (Conley & Lambel, p. 170). I think then, it would be much more of a case of which news organisation you worked for, and whether they are supportive of investigatory articles.
3. Yes I most probably would band together with other reporters. I think it is very important to get as much information out of a media conference as possible, especially if it is of a subject that is in the spotlight. I think that at times like this it would be more important to do this, and to put your own pride behind you.
4. As I am doing my speech on this topic, I found this area very interesting. Freedom of information laws are commonly referred to as 'Freedom from information', and with just cause. Government information should be able to be accessed by the media, unless it is important information relating to defence or other matters of that nature. Freedom of Information laws in Australia are ranked so low compared to other countries. In Switzerland, access to information is the easiest to gain access to, with almost all requests being granted (and very quickly). As a reaction to Freedom of Information laws, leading media organisations have join together to form Australia's Right To Know Coalition to work together to rescue freedom of speech and other rules of democracy.
5. This would very much depend on how much research you had taken before the proceedings, and to what news angle you might have been considering. Also, "a chief of staff might be able to give a journalist advice on whether space will be available for several stories on different conference subjects, or whether they should narrow the focus to a single, all-encompassing story" (Conley & Lambel, p.175).
-----------------------------------------------
Polygamy leader told rape victim to repent, court told
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:00am AEST
A young woman told a Utah court she wanted to die after being forced into sex at the age of 14 in a marriage arranged by one of the biggest US polygamous sects.
But the self-styled prophet of the breakaway Mormon clan told her she was disobedient and needed to repent and submit to her new husband, the woman testified.
The woman, now 21, testified she had never been kissed or had a boyfriend before the 2001 wedding to her 19-year-old cousin and locked herself in the bathroom after the ceremony.
The wedding was presided over by Warren Jeffs, 51, the leader and self-described "prophet" of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or FLDS, a breakaway Mormon sect that practices polygamy.
Jeffs is on trial on two counts of being an accomplice to rape, a charge he denies. Jeffs is not charged with polygamy but the trial has focused attention on the practice and his secretive sect, whose approximately 7,500 members live in an isolated enclave on the Utah-Arizona border.
The woman, who cannot be identified, said she begged her husband not to touch her as he undressed her one night soon after their wedding.
"'I can't do this, please don't,'" she said she told her husband. "I was sobbing. My whole entire body was shaking I was so scared. He didn't stop. He just laid me onto the bed and had sex."
Afterward, the woman said she felt dirty and took two bottles of painkillers.
"I just wanted to die. I didn't want to deal with [my husband] anymore. I didn't want to deal with Warren, or the prophet, or my mother. ... I was so hurt by them," she said.
The woman later arranged a meeting with Jeffs and told him her husband was touching her in ways she did not fully understand."
"I told him I was sorry I had failed so severely. ... He told me that I needed to repent, that I was not living up to my vows, I was not being obedient, I was not being submissive and that was what my problem was," she recounted.
Jeffs told her to go home "and give myself mind, body, and soul" to her husband.
Jeffs' attorneys have said the case is one of religious persecution and have questioned how Jeffs would have known that rape was being committed behind bedroom doors.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Discussion
This is completely disgusting. If there is one religion I am at a loss for understanding it is Mormonism. Its religious beliefs, polygamy and incest is so badly founded, I wonder how this could still be happening in a Western country.
This article is fairly descriptive and evokes a lot of emotion, as a young woman. It makes me consider myself at age 14, and just how different the lives of people are to mine.
I wonder what the moral of Jeff's attorney is. How could he defend such a person? I know that everyone has the right to a fair trial, but wouldn't this case be damaging?
The fact that this young girl has had to suffer such trauma and emotional distress is complete unnecessary. I know I am sounding very prejudice towards Mormons, but I simply find them to be completely moronic. I know, I know, if you've grown up in that environment it is different. But clearly it isn't for this young girl who is bordering on suicidal. She took two bottles of painkillers and she did not even understand what was happening to her.
All I can say is that I am glad this woman has sought legal advice.
Mormonist perspective on their religion
My perspective on mormonism
Yes, south park can be sometimes moronic, but underneath all the swear words and jokes are some fairly solid issues. That is the whole point behind the cartoon. Once you start watching it, you realise just how clever Trey Parker and Matt Stone can actually be.
Here is a Wikipedia entry on The Book of Mormon, giving a brief outline of the religion, its history and major themes
Wikipedia and Book of Mormon
Some of you might not know this, but hugely popular band The Killers are actually Mormons. They are also from Las Vegas. Sounds fairly strange!
No comments:
Post a Comment